Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ninjas, Car Hoods, and Gorillas

So my main group of friends here is a bunch of people in a seminar called "colonization of space" meaning they spend most of their time talking about how to get to mars. And they spend the rest of their time talking about ninjas. I actually believe we have not gotten through a meal without mentioning the word ninja. Most of them do martial arts, including one guy who is a black belt in japanese archery. This weekend we have plans to all buy nerf guns and have an epic battle. And the rumor is that we will have a battle next weekend which will somehow involve glow in the dark paint. We shall see the results.

In other news, when I was driving across the country my car hood started getting some air over hills in montana (yes, there are a few hills in montana). Anyways, we went to a gas station and fixed the latch with industrial duct tape. I figured: end of story. Apparently not. I was driving back from a trip to albany and there were some super slow people in front of me so I went in the left lane and increased my speed from 60 to 70 and WHAM! My windshield was introduced to my car hood. So I pulled over-ish (there was a guard rail, so I could only get half way out of the left lane). And I called 911, and they promptly forgot about me. And then I sat on the side of the road for an hour and a half while cars whizzed by me and one almost hit me and spun around into a ditch (haha). Anyways, eventually I got to meet a tow truck driver who has a bad hip so his wife clips his toenails for him, and now my silver car has a white hood.

I also take classes here (surprise) and my seminar is about game theory. We were talking about a hypothetical situation in which guerillas are fighting the police to try and take over the armories. So I (naturally) doodled a bunch of pictures of gorillas absentmindedly while listening to the lecture. And then we modeled the situation and did a statistical analysis and it turns out the gorillas had an advantage. Not thinking, I raised both fists in the air and yelled "YES!" The professor stopped and looked at me, puzzled and said "you like revolutionaries?" I was too embarrassed to explain myself.

So, that's college so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment