Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Climbing, checking and trying to stay sane

Well, Heidi may be going mountaineering (which is awesome), but my climbing class got to go to Idaho over our four-day weekend and practice trad leading and multi-pitch climbing. Basically, I was something like 400 feet off the ground, hanging off two anchor bolts and getting to see 360 degrees of Idaho around me. It was beautiful and the coolest thing I've ever done, by far. You should check out my pictures on facebook.

I also got promoted to checker at Safeway, which means I get to work awesome shifts like 5-11pm tonight, when I have 20 pages of Spanish poetry to read and a 3 page essay analyzing poetry in Spanish due tomorrow. Checking is actually a much harder job than most people give it credit for. All the random little things you have to remember to do, like dealing with an order that's paid for half with food stamps and half with a credit card, or asking for donations for breast cancer research, get really tricky sometimes. Not to mention that training is so not helpful for produce codes. They require you to know codes for rutabagas, bok choy and turnips during training, but not carrots or sweet potatoes. Fail.

I just started another class--Intro to Music Theory--so now I'm actually taking all 21 of the credits I signed up for this semester. It's a little crazy, since our homework is to practice interval identification, and quizzes require us to hear two notes and say not only the interval, but also its quality (aka we have to tell a minor and major 2nd apart, or a perfect and augmented 4th). Which is basically impossible as far as I'm concerned, but I'm working on it.

In spite of all the insanity, I'm having a really good time. I just need to take fewer classes next semester, though I highly doubt that will end up happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment